Friday 18 November 2011

Constructing The Self

Bloggers I need your help. As you may recall a few posts ago I did some self portraits of me hiding behind curtains in an everyday scene for my current University project, which is all about dealing with my issues of lack of self confidence and the feeling of being overshadowed and insignificant. I have come up with a couple more shoots dealing with this idea but in different ways.

The first test shoot is me hiding behind people who are participating in pretty mundane events and laying an arm or other limb across their body, so that this is the only part of me you can see. At first the scene looks pretty normal until you spot the extra limb, it deals heavily with this idea of me feeling overshadowed and insignificant. So here are a few examples let me know what you think!

Click on image to enlarge

The Second test shoot is again based around the everyday scene. Using a long shutter speed I move while the shutter goes of so that everything else is in focus but my figure is blurred and thus unidentifiable. Again this focuses mainly on the feeling of being insignificant as well as blurring my identity and body showing the lack of self confidence that I deal with everyday. Again here are some examples and feedback would again be appreciated.
So keeping in mind the curtain images as well, I'd really like to hear which idea you think is best and I should carry on with!

Thanks bloggers!

2 comments:

  1. Personally i think that the long exposure best expresses the emotion you are choosing to convey. the others (curtains, hands) conjure up different connotations such as identity theft, threat and stalking!

    ReplyDelete