Sunday 23 October 2011

Third year begins, and with it a new project is born.

The start of my third and final year at The Arts University College at Bournemouth (mouthful I know) has begun and with it has come a lot of work! But, even with the mountains of pressure, fear and self doubt I am feeling good about my final year and have started my project much earlier than normal and with a lot more determination and pleasure! Although I am aiming for a degree, at the beginning of last year I feel I forgot the passion I have for photography and only aimed to please my tutors, forgetting what I like to photograph. But with my last few projects that passion came back and now I am determined to do a project that is personal and is for me.

So with this is in mind I came up with my current project. My strongest work lies within portraiture and thus I decided to do a project dealing with the constructed image and self portraiture. I wanted to focus on self portraiture because within the project I wanted to deal with the personal issues that I have about myself and especially my body. I have always lacked self confidence, feeling particularly (like most women) critical of my body, wanting to loose more weight, have better skin, nicer bum... I could go on and on. I also deal with the pressure of constantly feeling overshadowed by an older brother and sister (youngest child syndrome I know) so with all these issues in mind this project was born... Have a look at the images and let me know what you think, as opinions help a project grow and develop.

Cheers bloggers!

3 comments:

  1. Great images. In a few of the photos it took me a while to realise where the legs/body but i'm guessing this is reflecting how you sometimes feel? It's as if you're there in a room but not? Or is it more so that you're there but wanting to disappear?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pleasing the tutors is always worthwhile as they have to mark they have the final say. They're not always right tho! I like the sequence as they work in context with one another. The last one has it's focus on you more so than the others and makes me think of semi transparent layers you might work with in Photoshop.

    Anyway this could go on as there's lots of mileage in this idea so let's see more!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's more about I'm in the room but not, like feeling overshadowed but also I do hide if that makes any sense? But thanks to both! xxx

    ReplyDelete