Monday 10 October 2011

Mari Sarai - 'Naked'

Walking past a little gallery called 'Doors Showcase' in Shoreditch an exhibition poster caught my eye, it was photographer Mari Sarai's series Naked. I had never heard of her before but was automatically drawn in to an exhibition that celebrates the naked form in a series of beautiful photographs featuring the liberation of powerful woman and all their glory. There are many ways the naked body can be interpreted and as a photographer who is interested in exploring ways of depicting the nude form in my current project, it was really refreshing to see such a bold presentation of the female body, it captures how a woman's eye sees a woman's body, without any of theh sexual undertones that male photographers seem to always induce, but still celebrating the sexual aspects of the female form.

Sarai's images are very intimate and playful. She celebrates the expressiveness of the female body and shows that nudity is not negative, dark or seedy and for this I congratulate her. I am definitely now encouraged to pursue the naked form in my new project and hope I can celebrate and capture them as well as she does.

The exhibition is on until 13th October, so if you get a chance, go see it!

No comments:

Post a Comment