Thursday 13 October 2011

My New Favourite Photographer Is...

Donigan Cumming! When discussing my current project, my tutor gave me the name Donigan Cumming and ever since I've been hooked, recently buying both his Pretty Ribbons and Reality and Motive in Documentary Photography books.

In this blog post however I am going to show and talk to you only about Pretty Ribbons my favourite of all his work, and one that I feel most relates to the area of practice I am undertaking in my current project. In this series Cumming's "documents" (if you will) the life of former journalist come film actress, Nettie Harris, from their acquaintance in 1982 up until her death in 1993. I say documents lightly, as the images are set up, not by the photographer himself who merely creates the situations in which to photograph, but indeed by the model Nettie who is clearly in charge with what poses she pulls and how she wants to be viewed by the public. Indeed it seems Pretty Ribbons is concerned with her self-portrayal on her own stage, with her life itself. While she does not necessarily act in these images, she does not play the part of an actress; instead she takes up various roles that she feels make up her own person.

Nettie's physical and psychic presence is breathtaking and her sexuality is a huge matter of interest within the images as well. These photographs are disturbing and shocking for our society to behold as we sex (especially in old age) firmly in the taboo, and here Nettie is showing her own physical nature as a major theme throughout this series. Cumming's shows Nettie's countless wrinkles, folds and the natural bodies deterioration through old age as beautiful, not ugly as is viewed in today's perfection driven society.

I adore this book as it celebrates a vibrant and strong personality. A lady who has lived an intoxicating life and is not afraid to show off her flaws, her age her frailty but overall her beauty in somewhat absurd but striking photographs.

So here are a few of my favourite shots... just to give you a taster before you go out and buy the book!

No comments:

Post a Comment