Friday 25 March 2011

"Where Children Sleep"

I have really loved my current projects mainly because I have discovered so many new photographers. One I am particularly glad I discovered was James Mollison, his series 'Where Children Sleep' was referred to me by a friend after seeing it in the Daily Telegraph Magazine because he thought it might relate to my bookwork project (which it totally did!!) I managed to get hold of the article and instantly fell in love with his work.

Mollison traveled the world, photographing various children and their bedrooms. Mollison started the series because 'I found myself thinking about my bedroom: how significant it was during my childhood, and how it reflected who I was' which is why I wanted to document different bedrooms as I believe they really tell you a lot about a person as it reflects their interests, aspirations and inspirations. Mollison departed on this project as an idea for engaging with children's rights and help other children to think about inequality around the world. His images show a stark contrast between cultures and wealth and poverty, with children living in squalor to children living in mansions. It was a very powerful project and as soon as Amazon have the book back in stock I am definitely going to buy it!

But for now, here are what I think were the most powerful images from his series. Really showing how different children lives can be and opening my eyes to some of the horrific situations children have been bought up in, it definitely made me even more grateful for my bedroom when I was a young girl.











No comments:

Post a Comment