Wednesday 5 May 2010

Image Time



For my recent project Image Time, I was experimenting with the idea of a still portrait with moving image. My first ideas didn't work out like I planned but I had a couple of ideas which went well. The first was playing with the idea of turning a classic still portrait into a moving image one. I filmed different people in the studio for 30 mins. At first they were very still and could easily be mistaken as a still portrait but then you see them blink or move slightly. As time goes on, due to standing in the same place, the model became more and more uncomfortable and fidgety so the "still portrait" becomes less and the moving image becomes clearer. I enjoyed doing these images but could not really take it any further, plus I had limited resources and the camera I used wasn't high definition so the quality wasn't good enough.

The film above is my final piece for image time. Looking for inspiration I came across a project in FOAM magazine, the Portrait issue, called "Jenny" by three photographers Nanna de Wilde, Kristina Stark and Terese Bolander, which is what I based my project on. They purchased everything a woman owned from an auction after she died and photographed them. I loved the idea of creating a portrait of someone through their life belongings. Therefore I made a self portrait in this way. I took all my special objects throughout my life into the studio and photographed them. Then using iMovie i turned them into a film, creating a portrait of myself through time.

I hope you like!

No comments:

Post a Comment