Monday 2 May 2011

Instrumental

At the beginning of my Negotiated Practices project, before I started doing portraits, I looked into the body language of a musician with their instrument, focusing on the hands and posture and leaving out the face in the majority of the images. I was trying to show the feeling and style of musicians whilst they play without actually portraying their facial expressions. These photographs were all done on black and white film, inspired by traditional black and white jazz photographs that are extremely atmospheric and that I generally love.

Whilst I do really love the images, I found them a little cliched and just wanted to focus on portraits and look at how absorbed a musician gets when playing as I felt the hands just didn't show the connection someone has with the music they are playing. However I thought you may like to see where my project started out! Let me know what you think bloggers!

Click on image to enlarge















No comments:

Post a Comment