Tuesday 1 June 2010

The Rolling Stones - Like A Rolling Stone (Music Video)

I went to a talk by Andy Earl, a photographer who has worked with many hugely successful musicians. He showed us his music video for the Rolling Stones "Like A Rolling Stone" which is one of my favourite songs and videos. Learning how he made such an impressive video was incredibe, he used 12,000 still images shot using 2 Nikon 35mm cameras and a hand-held flash, a technique he perfected from art college, to create it. The video was directed by Michel Gondry and although you may not believe, contains no moving image whatsoever. By using the two cameras balanced on each shoulder and combining the images he managed to create this amazing moving image effect. I love the Stones version of Bob Dylan's original song and I think the video is breathtakingly good. Andy Earle is one of my favourite photographers in the field that I am most interested in and shows how experimenting and perfecting your own techniques can lead to such outstanding work. Thanks Andy Earl for inspiring me to do band photography!

No comments:

Post a Comment