Wednesday 9 October 2013

Written and Directed by Woody Allen


As a massive Woody Allen fan I couldn't wait to go see his new film, Blue Jasmine, that has been called his "best film in decades". To me, this was a tall claim as I absolutely love Midnight in Paris, it's definitely one of my top ten films, so I was especially excited for this new release. I was not disappointed. Now you couldn't compare it to Midnight in Paris in any shape or form, Midnight in Paris is light, fun, something I put on whenever I need to smile film, this can definitely not be said about Blue Jasmine, which is a propulsive drama set in New York and San Francisco about a woman’s self-destruction as a result of her inability to look truthfully at her own life. It’s a serious warning, brutal even, whilst still manages to capture Woody Allen's style and dry wit in parts.

Cate Blanchett, as the starring role, was simply superb. Apparently there is Oscar buzz around her performance and I am not surprised, she captured the role perfectly. Her emotion and changing persona were insanely convincing. I don't want to give anything away so let me just say this GO SEE IT NOW! You will be pleasantly surprised, suitably horrified and most importantly, you will remember to keep in mind that age old saying, hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.

*Nerdy Fan Alert* (Just in case you hadn't already realised)

No comments:

Post a Comment